December 26, 2015 by Doug Moore
Yes, it’s that time of year again! The holidays are a great time of the year!
It’s always nice to invite guests over, but with the bed bug epidemic, it takes on a new and potentially ominous aspect. Without being rude, how can you ask your guests if they are infested with bed bugs?
Here are some surefire tips on being tactful and safe at the same time.
Bed bug tips for when inviting guests:
- Advise guests politely that you are concerned about bed bugs, and ask them if they are aware of the problem, or even if they have had their own run in with bed bugs.
- Ask guests to take off their shoes and leave them outside the front door.
- If they sleep over, provide them with an anti-bed bug laundry bag and a Bug Zip plastic bag to use for their luggage.
- Provide them with metal hangars for their hanging clothes – it makes it harder for bed bugs to take root.
- After they leave, inspect all the bedding, especially the seams of the mattress and box spring. Wash the sheets in hot water and detergent, then dry on a hot setting for at least 30 minutes.
- Look under sheets for signs of bed bugs – look for eggs, shed skin, reddish brown streaks, fecal matter, and of course – live bed bugs.