July 17, 2016 by Doug Moore
Nothing like the great outdoors! Wide open blue skies, views, vistas and … bed bugs. Yep. You may want to avoid these blood suckers while out there camping.
Here are a few helpful tips to keep them home on the range, and you safe at home.
Tips to Avoid Bed Bugs When Camping:
- Know what a bed bug and bed bug bite looks like, and be familiar with the signs of a bed bug infestation.
- Pack 1% hydrocortisone cream to provide relief in case you are bitten.
- Water proof your tent, and kept it sealed whenever possible.
- Use bed bug proof laundry bags and luggage liners and keep them sealed whenever possible.
- Leave your shoes in bed bug proof laundry bags when not in use.
- Before entering your sleeping bag, check your clothes and body for hitchhiking bed bugs.
- Kill visible eggs with rubbing alcohol.
When You Arrive Back Home:
- Wash your clothes in hot water and detergent – adding a little bleach wouldn’t hurt.
- Dry them on a “hot” setting for at least 20 minutes.
For more information about bed bugs, heat treatment, and canine bed bug scent detection, click here.
Haven’t subscribed to my Blog yet?? Easy to fix!